Internet Connection – Speed Test
Find out how fast your Internet connection is.
Information about Speed Tests
Internet speed tests measure the network bandwidth and latency of your connection by calculating the
time it takes to download a predefined set of data. Speed tests can measure both download and upload speeds.
The most common things that will slow down a speed test are:
- transferring files back and forth on computers in your home
- having multiple windows or tabs open within a web browser like Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox
- add-ins or extra search bars within a browser, such as WeatherBug or weather monitoring services
- having a router behind a modem can also sometimes slow a connection
- wireless service within a home can greatly affect results
- the distance from the wireless broadcast point, most often a modem or router, and the location of the device you are testing from comes in to play
- how much physical stuff is between the device you are testing and the wireless modem or router, be it walls, floors, doors, windows, etc., these things slow radio waves
- old computer and/or it's setup inefficiently this can slow things down e.g. you only have a tiny amount of free memory and your computer is forced to use your hard disk to store temporary data which slows things down significantly