Fiber to the Home - Reliance/Lower Brule Exchange
Fiber to the Home 2020
Reliance/Lower Brule Exchange
July 8, 2020
- Travis Electric is almost finished with hanging clamshells for customers in Lower Brule, West Brule, and Reliance. If you have not heard from them, please call 1-855-888-7777 and ask for the engineering department.
- Construction is proceeding along BIA 10 on the west side of Lower Brule, then crews will move to the north side of town.
July 1, 2020
- Travis Electric will begin working south of Reliance. Customers in the towns of Reliance, Lower Brule, and West Brule should have clamshells. If your home or business doesn’t yet have a clamshell installed, please call 1-855-888-7777 and ask for the engineering department.
- Ripley’s construction crews will be taking a break over the Independence Day holiday and be back to work on the July 7th. At that time they will begin working in the north part of Lower Brule.
June 24, 2020
- Travis Electric has completed hanging clamshells in the town of Reliance. Clamshell installation in the villages of Lower Brule and West Brule are substantially complete. If your home or business doesn’t have a clamshell, please call Golden West at 1-855-888-7777 and ask for the engineering department.
- Construction is nearly complete in Reliance town. Crews will be starting construction in Lower Brule soon.
June 18, 2020
- Travis Electric has completed all clam shell installations in Reliance and most in West Brule. They are currently hanging clam shells in Lower Brule.
- The mainline construction and lines to customer homes and businesses is complete in Reliance.
- The mainline plowing crew started construction in Lower Brule this week. They will start plowing lines to individual subscribers in Lower Brule next week.
June 2, 2020
Golden West Builds Infrastructure To ALL in Lower and West Brule Villages For Fiber Optic Broadband Services
Whether you are a current customer or not, Golden West will bring infrastructure for fiber optic connections to all homes and businesses in the Lower Brule and West Brule villages this summer or fall.
This construction is part of Golden West’s commitment to provide broadband access across its rural South Dakota service territory and help position the communities it serves for the future. Fiber optic technology uses pulses of light to transmit information, providing faster, more reliable internet speeds and stronger connections for phone and cable TV services.
Outside Construction on Homes and in Yards
For customers and non-customers alike, Travis Electric, Golden West’s contractor, will hang a small box or “clamshell” on the outside of all homes and businesses. Ripley’s, Inc., another contractor, will trench, bore or plow along roadways. Ripley’s, Inc. will use other methods to minimize disturbance in driveways and yards as they lay fiber cables and ducts throughout the area. All areas will be returned to pre-construction condition.
Services Will Be Upgraded Later
Golden West will upgrade services for current subscribers to the new technology after construction is complete late in 2020 or early in 2021. With the infrastructure already in place, others will be able to subscribe to Golden West services more easily in the future.
Following CDC Guidelines for COVID-19
To help ensure everyone’s health and safety, the contract workers will follow Center for Disease Control recommended practices, including observing social distancing, conducting daily health checks and holding weekly safety meetings, to name a few. The workers will also abide by any state, local or tribal executive orders that may be in place for the area regarding COVID-19.
Receive Lifeline Discount for Internet Service
Many tribal residents qualify for a monthly discount of up to $34.25 per month on internet or phone service through the federal Tribal Lifeline program. The Universal Service Administration Company administers Lifeline. For qualifying information or to apply online, visit lifelinesupport.org. Paper applications are also accepted, but enrollment takes longer. Contact Golden West for assistance or more information.
Golden West sincerely appreciates your understanding and cooperation throughout the construction process. For additional information about the Fiber to the Home project call 1-855-888-7777 and ask for the Engineering Department.
Join us for an open house on Tuesday, March 3rd at 6:30pm at the American Legion in Reliance.
Stop by for snacks, refreshments, giveaways and a chance to win a $100!
We’re bringing Fiber to the Home, making sure that your phone and Internet work as hard as you do.
Learn more about how Fiber to the Home will make your community stronger and more sustainable. You’ll find out how and where the work will be done, and the benefits of fiber optic technology.
Golden West Contractors in Reliance/Lower Brule Exchange:
- Ripley's Inc.
- Travis Electric, Inc.
Please contact Golden West with any questions, concerns or comments by calling 1-855-888-7777 and asking for the Engineering Department or Email firstname.lastname@example.org.