FTTH Construction Overview - What to Expect
FTTH Construction Overview
What to Expect
1. The “clamshell,” which has just been hung on the outside of your home, is the point to which Golden West’s construction contractor will bury a fiber optic cable.
2. The same contractor will also complete the inside wiring portions of the project. If the inside wiring was not completed when the clamshell was hung, they will contact you to make another appointment.
3. A construction contractor will dig a small trench across your yard to bury the cable to your home/business. Once the fiber optic cable is buried to the clamshell, the contractors will repair the lawn.
4. When the first three steps are finished, Golden West will contact you for an appointment to “cut over” your services to fiber optics.
5. By the end of the project, Golden West and our contractors will finish site clean-up. Our goal is to return your yard to its original state.
Clamshell on Outside of Home
Optical Network Terminal Inside of Home
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When will the project be finished?
A: The entire community project will take roughly a year, however you should only see construction in your neighborhood for a few months. You may be cutover to Fiber sooner, depending on in which part of the project your home or business is located. Golden West and our Contractors will send you updates by mail, as well as call you to schedule appointments.
Q: Will my bill change because of FTTH?
A: Your bill will not change due to FTTH. Fiber is a long-term investment in your community and part of Golden West's process to upgrade our entire network.
Q: What are the benefits of FTTH?
A: Greater bandwidth- Fiber provides more bandwidth than copper cables. This means you can use more data and devices at once with fewer problems.
Speed and Distance- Once you're on fiber, you'll be able to receive Golden West's fastest Internet speeds (if you want them), now and in the future.
Long-Term Capability- Fiber optics is called "future proof" because of its ability to handle new and emerging technology.
Q: Who do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
A: Contact Golden West Member Services by calling 1-855-888-7777.